So here I am in Seattle – loving it! Well before going here I really had an idea that Americans are self-conscious and arrogant (sorry). I had never been in the US before and therefore I was really excited about everything.
I have only had few American friends before coming here, and they seemed a bit precocious.
So my impression of Americans was more or less what I have seen in the television and experienced with these two American guys.
Let me just say, I was positively surprised when I first got here
In general Americans seems so open, positive and helpful. Just few days ago I was taking the bus and ended up in the wrong place. The area was dark, cold and the streets were empty just like a ghost town or something. I asked the bus driver for directions since I had no idea where I was.
Instead of just telling me where I was, this bus driver said “a girl should not walk in this area alone”, then he turned around the bus (it was empty except for him and me) drove back to another bus stop further up the street, to make sure I would get on the bus and return safely (and with a bus going the right direction).
If I had been in the same situation in Denmark the bus driver would maybe take some time explaining me were to take the bus from to go back, and maybe even point it out. But never turn around the bus, and follow me in to the next bus to be sure I would return safely.
This is not because all Danish bus drivers are cold-hearted, but in Denmark I guess we just expect adults to take care of themselves.
I think this is a very positive culture shock - so different from Denmark!
Wow! What a great story Mette! I have friends that are bus drivers...I'm going to have to share your story. I'd like to say that is the norm, but I think you just had an amazing driver! Where were you at? What bus? ~
SvarSletI am very impressed by this bus driver–and very proud of my Seattle lights. I think it is fantastic that somebody went out of their way for you, to make sure that you were safe.
SvarSletI must admit, that I was disappointed in the idea that our television shows here in United States offer such a narrow view of Americans. I guess it can't be helped, seeing how television shows present only marginal side human being, and then the news that you would hear, especially political news, is also rather marginalized. Isn't this so for every nation?
I've never been to Denmark, but if I was to go there I would have one thing firmly implanted in my mind: that is the studies that have been done regarding Denmark and happiness. Generally, considering the happiness index, Denmark is considered the happiest country on earth. To be honest, that just makes you want to move there!
Wow! I too am amazed at that bus driver. Normally I don't think they would do that. You got lucky. Seattle is a pretty nice area. There are other cities you may go to and not find the same attitude around the streets. West Seattle is actually very nice! Everyone here treats you like family. It's comforting to me because I am here by myself, I am from Green Bay, WI. I don't think that bus driver would have done the same for me(I have tattoos and piercings). I'm glad you are liking it here! Enjoy!
SvarSlet